Theodore (Ted) Babbitt
In addition to winning personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits over the past five decades in Florida, Ted Babbitt has won accolades and esteem. Since 1975, Mr. Babbitt has been a member of the Inner Circle of Advocates, an invitation-only group limited to just 100 of the top plaintiffs’ lawyers in the country. He’s written more than 100 articles that have appeared in national and local publications, given lectures for other attorneys, chaired nearly a dozen professional committees, and been listed – for more than 20 years — in The Best Lawyers in America. All the while, he has successfully tackled some of the toughest personal injury cases in the state of Florida – and obtained numerous high-profile, multimillion-dollar recoveries for his clients.
Most lawyers with credentials like these tend to oversee cases, letting junior lawyers do the legwork. That’s not Ted Babbitt’s style. Because he is selective about the cases he accepts, he is able to give each client the attention – and the resources – they deserve. It’s a formula that’s enabled him to win cases against long odds – and win the respect of his clients.
For Ted Babbitt, no detail is too small, and no opponent is too big. While other lawyers can spend years getting to the heart of their case, Ted sees it from the very start: helping his client seek redress – and accountability – for the harm they’ve suffered. That’s always the goal, and through the skill, preparation, and dedication that have made his name with his peers, Ted Babbitt has made a better future for his clients.
Ted Babbitt is a commercial pilot and flight instructor with ratings in single and multi-engine as well as glider. He has been flying since 1969 and has logged more than 4,500 hours. His most recent plane was a twin engine jet prop seating 8. He is credited with being instrument rated with certification from Flight Safety and has flown volunteer flights as an “Angel” to allow sick people to get needed treatment. He is also signed up for “Pilots and Paws” to do the same thing for injured animals.
Publications & Presentations
- Certification Examination Question for Civil Trial Lawyers, Topic: “Negligence”, 1984.
- Form Interrogatories for Automobile Negligence cases in conjunction with membership on Abuse of Discovery Subcommittee.
- You CAN Take it With You – the Videotaped Will, by Theodore Babbitt, Philandrea Press, 10/84.
- “Staying Out of Malpractice Suits”, for the South Florida Medical Review. 9/85.
- Certification Examination Question for Civil Trial Lawyers, Topic: “Medical Malpractice”, 1986.
- “Hospital Records – Introducing Them as Evidence, Using them at Trial”, for TRIAL, The Monthly Magazine of The Association of Trial Lawyers of America, March 1988.
- Refuting ERISA Preemption of State Law Claims in HMO Cases, for Trial Magazine, 5/98.
- Author of 141 articles on legal subjects including: Author of a monthly column in the Palm Beach County Bar Bulletin
- Commenting on recent cases and published continuously since October of 1978.
- “Trial Psychology” to the Trial Lawyers Section of the Florida Bar. Tampa, FL., 10/78 and 10/80.
- “The New Wrongful Death Act”, to the Florida Bar CLE program in West Palm Beach, Miami and Pensacola, FL 1982.
- Lecturer and trial team member for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. Chapel Hill, N.C., 1977 – 1979.
- “Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Case”, to the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers. Vail, CO., 12/79.
- “Law and Medicine”, to the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers in Seminar entitled New Development & Creative Techniques in Personal Injury Litigation. Vail, CO, 12/83
- “Legal Liability of EMT’s and Paramedics”, to the Palm Beach County EMT’s and Paramedics, West Palm Beach, FL, 1984.
- “Law Office Management” to the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers in seminar entitled Effective Organization of Your Trial and Trial Preparation. Crested Butte, CO., 3/84.
- “The Tort System, Trial by Jury”, for the Palm Beach Kiwanis Club, 7/84
- “Requests for Admissions and Physical and Mental Examinations of Persons”, in conjunction with a Hampton Seminars, Inc. program entitled Documentary and Other Non-Depositional Discovery – Plowing the Paper Trail. Miami and Tampa, FL, 10/85.
- “Dealing with Damages in Personal Injury Litigation: Wrongful Death” for the Personal Injury Continuing Legal Education Committee of the Palm Beach County Bar Association. West Palm Beach, FL 2/86.
- “Personal Injury Seminar” for the Personal Injury/Wrongful Death Continuing Legal Education Committee of the Palm Beach County
Bar Association. West Palm Beach, FL 2/17/87.
- “Use of Medical Records in Proving Damages” for the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. Dallas, TX 10/23/87.
- “Opening Statement” for 7th Annual Divorce Law Update and 1989 Civil Litigation Conference by the Law Education Institute, Inc. Vail, CO 1/7/89.
- “Pretrial and Courtroom Use of Records” for the AFTL 1989 Annual Workhorse Seminar. Tampa, FL 2/2/89.
- “Doctors Operating Out of Their Specialty in the Area of Cosmetic Surgery” for the Association of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. West Palm Beach, FL 4/12/90.
- “Medical Malpractice Update” for The Palm Beach County Bar Association’s 8th Annual Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Seminar. West Palm Beach, FL 3/28/91.
- “Medical Malpractice” for The New Mexico Trial Lawyers Foundation Convention, The Ultimate Seminar, Santa Fe, New Mexico 6/21-22/91.
- “Closing Deals: Tips from the Veterans” for the AFTL Settlement, Demand Packages & Technology Seminar in Miami, FL 9/19/96.
- “Deposing the Adverse Oncologist in a Failure to Diagnose Breast Cancer Case” for the ATLA 1997 Winter Convention, Boca Raton, FL 1/20/97.
- “Spoliation Overcoming the Defense Objections of Risk Management Peer Review and Attorney/Client” for the Inner Circle Convention, Williamsburg, VA 10/12-17, 1997.
- “Pathology Malpractice – Seeing Cancers that Aren’t There or Missing Cancers That are There” for the Inner Circle Convention, Williamsburg, VA 10/12-17/97.
- “Cross-Examining Medical Experts” for the Palm Beach County Bar Associations 15th Annual Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Seminar, West Palm Beach, FL 3/5/98.
- “Effectively Deposing the Defense Expert in the Medical Malpractice Case” for The Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Orlando, FL 6/25/98.
- “Error in Medicine” for the Palm Beach County Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons, Manalapan, FL 11/9/99.
- “Medical Malpractice Case Law Update” for the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Tampa, FL, 5/22/00.
- “Winning Your Case at Trial – How to Get the Job Done” for the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Tampa, FL, 2/21/02.
- “Medical Malpractice: Current Threats to Winning a Medical Malpractice Case” for the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Orlando, FL, 3/21/02 and Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 3/22/02.
- “Cross Examination of Defendant’s Expert” for the Palm Beach County Bar Association, West Palm Beach, FL, 4/5/02.
- “Jury Selection: Varied Perspectives” for the Palm Beach County Trial Lawyers Association, West Palm Beach, 4/24/03.
- “Technology for Trial Lawyers” for the Palm Beach County Trial Lawyers Association, Palm Beach, 5/9/03.
- Ted Babbitt was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021 for the following categories:
- Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Selected to Florida Super Lawyers list, 2006 – Present
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 1987 – Present
- Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite™, 2016
- Governor’s Task Force on Medical Malpractice
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2010 – Present