Matthew K. Schwencke
MATTHEW K. SCHWENCKE began his legal practice as a defense attorney, where he gained experience in all facets of civil litigation. Defending hospitals and healthcare providers against multi-million dollar claims has given him insight into defense strategies and tactics, especially in medical malpractice litigation.
Mr. Schwencke earned his law degree from Stetson University College of Law, where he was a member of Stetsons award-winning Moot Court Board. While in law school, he served as intern to a federal magistrate judge, and prosecuted misdemeanor criminal offenses as a Certified Legal Intern for the Pinellas County State Attorney’s office. As an undergraduate, Mr. Schwencke attended the University of Florida on a Bright Futures Scholarship; he graduated with honors. His achievements as a trial lawyer have been recognized by his peers as he has been selected as a “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers, “Legal Elite” by Florida Trend Magazine, as well as one of the top 40 trial lawyers under the age of 40 by the National Trial Lawyers. He has been certified by the American Board of Trial Advocates as Fellow of the ABOTA National Trial College. Mr. Schwencke was inducted into the Florida Verdicts Hall of Fame as a result of his verdict in excess of Twelve Million Dollars in the case of the Estate of Andrew Connor Curtis v. Villas on the Green Condominium Association, et al. He obtained the largest surgical error verdict in the State of Florida in the year 2017 in the case of Haley vs. Hyland MD. His verdict in the case of Gray v. Iakovidis, MD was recognized by Courtroom View Network as one of the Top 10 Most Impressive Plaintiff’s Verdicts in the United States of America in the year 2018.
A Palm Beach County native, Mr. Schwencke is admitted to practice in all jurisdictions in the State of Florida and has been admitted to the United States District Court for the Southern and Northern Districts of Florida. He is a member of the Florida Bar, the Florida Justice Association, the Palm Beach County Bar Association, the Palm Beach County Justice Association and the Craig S. Barnard American Inn of Court.
As an attorney with Searcy Denney, Mr. Schwencke represents victims of catastrophic personal injury involving medical malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, and premises, professional, and products liability.
- Florida Super Lawyers
- Florida Trend Legal Elite
- National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 under 40”
- Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates National Trial College
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys “10 Best
- The trial of Haley vs. Hyland, MD was recognized as the largest surgical error verdict in the
- State of Florida in the year 2017
- The trial of Gray v. Iakovidis, MD was recognized by Courtroom View Network as one of the
- Top 10 Most Impressive Plaintiff’s Verdicts in the United States in the year 2018
- Chairman of the Medical Malpractice Committee of the Florida Justice Association (2018)
- Olvera-Casas v. TC Crum Roofing $3,252,588.01 (August 2012)
- Estate of Andrew Connor Curtis v. Bygel, et al. $12,064,302.36 (March 2013)
- Campbell v. Stanley $76,018.42 (May 2015)
- Haley v. Hyland MD $1,554,270.38 (June 2017)
- Tritt v. University of Florida $222,717.17 (December 2017)
- Gray v. Iakovidis MD $4,914,462.59 (July 2018)
Our Fee Promise:
No Recovery? No Fee.