Karen E. Terry
KAREN E. TERRY is a shareholder at Searcy Denney Scarola Barnhart & Shipley PA in West Palm Beach and has been with the firm for 25 years. Recently, Mrs. Terry became board certified in civil trial law as well as in healthcare and medical malpractice, which are the highest honors one can achieve. For the last 10 years in a row, she has been named as one of The Best Lawyers in America. Recently honored as one of the top rated lawyers in health care in the United States, Mrs. Terry also was selected as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in the country and Top 10 Best Female Attorneys in Florida.
She also received the top Plaintiffs’ Verdicts in 2015 from Courtroom View Network and in 2019 from the Daily Business Review. She received the highest honor awarded by the Daily Business Review as the “2016 Product Liability Litigation Lawyer of the Year”. Mrs. Terry was selected as The Lawyer of the Year, 2017, in Mass Torts Litigation/Class Actions by Best Lawyers in America. In 2018, she became a Supreme Court Certified Circuit Mediator in Florida.
Mrs. Terry has tried many big cases, but in August 2007, she received a jury verdict of over $25 million dollars in Polk County, Florida against Walgreens for misfiling a prescription. In 2013, she also recently received a jury verdict over $12 million in Palm Beach County, Florida and was put into the Florida’s Verdicts Hall of Fame for it. She also got the first verdict in the U.S. against a medical concierge company for the negligence of its doctor, causing catastrophic consequences for a woman. Mrs. Terry has been selected as one of the top five litigators by Florida Trend Magazine and the South Florida Legal Guide. For the past 21 years, she has been a member of the Florida Justice Association and the Palm Beach County Justice Association and has been active in her community. She also recently was selected into the prestigious organizations, the International Society of Barristers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. Mrs. Terry is currently the Vice President of the Palm Beach Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates with aspirations to become President.
Before joining Searcy Denney, Mrs. Terry clerked for former Chief Judge Walter Colbath of the 15th Judicial Circuit. A native of South Florida, she graduated cum laude from Duke University in three years and earned a master’s degree from the University of Florida. She then graduated with honors from the University of Florida College of Law.
To learn more about Karen E. Terry, see:
Publications & Presentations
- Is Gender Bias in Automobile Safety Costing Women’s Lives?
- Many of the Nation’s Nursing Homes Had a Bad Record Before COVID — Now Hit With an Alarming Spike in New COVID Cases
- Women’s Right To Vote — Why Did Suffrage Take A Century To Achieve?
- How Can You Steal From Our Most Vulnerable Citizens? — FTC: Nursing Homes Are Stealing in a COVID-19 World
- Elder Care Facilities and Nursing Homes Putting Patients at Risk — Long Before Coronavirus
- Agency Overseeing Florida Nursing Homes Asks for ‘Sovereign Immunity’ for Corporate Nursing Home Industry
- Washers, Dryers — How Can Children Be at Risk?
- Rock ’n Play, Rocking Sleeper Unsafe? Sleepers Recalled as Debate Continues
- Elder Drivers, Driving Privileges and Safer Roads — Do we need regulation?
- Is Tort Reform in the Best Interests of the Public? The Numbers’ Don’t Lie and Insurance Company Exec’s agree It is in No One’s Best Interests, Except Insurers
- 2019 Legal Elite Hall of Fame
- 2019 Super Lawyers
- Top Lawyers 2019 by Palm Beach Illustrated
- Board Certified Specialist in Healthcare and Medical Malpractice, 2016 – current
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), 2009 – Present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2009-Present
- Top Lawyer in South Florida Legal Guide, 2009 – Present
- Jury Verdict Award in 2019 in a Wrongful Death Crash in federal court in the amount of $5,000,000.00.
- Jury Verdict Award in 2015 in a Survivor Automobile Crash Case in the amount of $6,160,546.04
- Jury Verdict Award in 2015 in a Survivor Case Medical Malpractice Case in the amount of $8,540,786.90 – Ranked as #1 trial of 2015 by Courtroom View Network
- Jury Verdict Award in 2013 in a Wrongful Death Case in the amount of $12,065,000.00
- Jury Verdict Award in 2007 in a Misfill Prescription Case in the amount of $25,850,583.77
- Jury Verdict Award in 2004 in a Medical Malpractice Case in the amount of $2,386,026.99
- Jury Verdict Award in 2002 in an Automobile Crash Case in the amount of $1,038,000.00
- Jury Verdict Award in 1996 in a Medical Malpractice Case in the amount of $1,854,661.00