Contact Us 24/7 to Speak with a Florida Amputation Lawyer about Your Legal Rights
Until it happens, it is hard to imagine losing a digit or limb to amputation. But, while this is unthinkable to most people, it does happen, and, each year, many accident victims find themselves in a position where amputating a digit or limb is necessary. If you have lost a digit or limb due to an accident or medical malpractice, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation, and you should speak with a Florida amputation attorney about your legal rights.
Common Accidents and Issues Leading to Amputation
Three main factors can lead to a doctor recommending amputation of a damaged digit or limb. In most cases, the need for an amputation is the result of:
- Physical Injury – Physical injuries account for approximately 75 percent of all upper extremity amputations. This includes injuries resulting in crushing, mangling or severing of digits and limbs. While many types of severe physical injuries can be repaired with modern medicine, some injuries are so severe that saving the injured digit or limb is not possible.
- Loss of Blood Flow – Loss of blood flow is another common factor leading to amputation. This can involve either physical interference with blood flow (i.e., having an arm or leg stuck under a heavy object) or from medical conditions such as gangrene and necrosis.
- Infection – Gangrene is a type of severe infection that can require emergency medical intervention. While treatment is possible in some cases, in others, amputation is necessary to prevent the risk of death. Certain other types of infections can lead to a medical recommendation of amputation as well.
These three factors can result from various causes. At Searcy Denney, our Florida amputation lawyers help individuals and families seek just compensation for amputations resulting from:
Most personal injury cases involving amputations arise out of traumatic accidents. This includes accidents such as:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Slips, Trips and Falls
- Dog Bites and Animal Attacks
- Watercraft and Boating Accidents
- Golf Cart Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Other Types of Accidents
To seek compensation for a traumatic accident, it is necessary to prove negligence on the part of another individual or company. As a result, a prompt investigation is critical, and it is important that you contact a Florida amputation attorney right away.
Product-related accidents are also common causes of amputations. This includes fires and explosions as well as collisions, falls, severe lacerations and other accidents caused by dangerous and defective products.
In some cases, the need for an amputation can result from medical malpractice. Delayed diagnosis, misdiagnosis, improper triage and failure to treat infections are all common issues that can lead to the need to amputate a digit or limb that otherwise could have been saved.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Florida Amputation Attorney
If you need to seek financial compensation for an amputation resulting from an accident or medical malpractice, we strongly encourage you to speak with one of our personal injury attorneys. To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation as soon as possible, call 800-780-8607 or send us your contact information online now.