It’s not uncommon to speak with regular folks who cringe at the idea of calling a lawyer, especially those who have never actually hired a lawyer. To some extent, they have been consciously or even subconsciously programmed to assume that a lawyer will automatically drain their savings, ignore them, and leave them worse off than they started.
Many folks are similarly pre-programmed to distrust lawyers and are much more comfortable making lawyers jokes than speaking with one. Still, as the old adage goes: Nobody likes a lawyer until they need one.
The fact is that lawyers are, for the most part, just regular people who work hard for long hours and do their best to earn an honest living and operating under fiercely competitive conditions that require them to make their services valuable and affordable. If they didn’t, they’d be out of business, and soon.
Furthermore, unlike most businesspeople, they operate under strict ethical rules designed solely to protect their clients. Of course, like any business, there are a few bad apples, but for the most part, the lawyer stereotypes just aren’t accurate.
If you need a lawyer that will look after your best interests instead of their own, call a Florida injury attorney at Searcy Denney for help.
When Do I Need to Call a Florida Lawyer?
Lawyers understand the complicated laws and procedures that are beyond a layperson’s training and experience. Quite often, the small details make all the difference, and lawyers have been trained to understand this. During the course of our lives, almost every one of us will come across a situation that requires us to find a good lawyer. Some of these situations include:
- You Have Been Injured. Injuries can be the result of intentional acts or mere negligence. In either case, you have protection under the law, but you’ll need an experienced lawyer to ensure you receive everything to which you are entitled.
- Any Situation Where You Are Facing Jail Time. While we do not handle criminal cases, we understand that the prospect of jail time is very serious. If you are in trouble with the law, a lawyer can be the difference between jail time vs. probation or a misdemeanor vs. a felony. Lawyers understand the law and are often on familiar terms with criminal judges and district attorneys.
- When You Are Planning Your Estate or a Family Member Has Died. Enforceable and effective estate planning is far more complicated (and controversial) than the late-night TV commercials would have you believe. This applies both to your own estate planning and when a loved one has passed and the estate is in the process of being distributed. There is usually too much at stake, including valuable family relationships, for you to handle on your own.
- When You Are Facing a Divorce. If a divorce or legal separation is amicable, does not involve children or any substantial assets or debts, you may be able to handle this on your own. Otherwise, you’ll need a lawyer from the outset.
- You Are Entering Into a Contract. Contracts are generally quite complex, and the people you are entering into the contract with will not have your best interests in mind. Your lawyer will.
Contact a Florida Injury Attorney if You Need Help
If you are facing a legal situation that resulted from an incident that led to your injury or a loved one’s death, contact a Florida injury attorney at Searcy Denney for a free consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay nothing if you don’t recover. Contact us online today for help.