Tampa Car Accident Lawyer
Injured in a Collision? Contact Us 24/7 to Speak with an Experienced Tampa Car Accident Lawyer for Free
As Florida’s third-largest city, Tampa also has some of the busiest roads in the state. Accidents on I-4, I-75 and I-275 routinely snarl traffic heading into and out of the city, and collisions in areas from Brandon to Ybor cause problems for residents and visitors daily as well.
Whether you live and work in Tampa or you are visiting on vacation or business travel, you should promptly consult with a Tampa car accident attorney if you have been injured in a collision. At Searcy Denney Scarola Barnhart & Shipley PA, we have been helping car accident victims and other injured plaintiffs in Florida recover their losses for decades, and we can use our experience to help you collect the compensation you deserve. No matter what happened – if you were driving to work or driving home from a Buccaneers game – we can help, but it is important that you contact us right away.
Tampa Car Accident Statistics
Due to Tampa’s rapidly-growing population and its status as a perennial tourist destination, car accidents in and around the city are extremely common. Each year, thousands of people are injured in collisions in Tampa and the surrounding areas of Hillsborough County. Here are the latest statistics from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV):
- On average, there are almost 30,000 car accidents in Tampa and the surrounding areas of Hillsborough County each year.
- Of the accidents that occur in Hillsborough County each year, more than 13,000 result in serious but non-fatal injuries.
- Each year, about 200 people die in car accidents in Hillsborough County, including fatal accidents within the Tampa city limits.
- Alcohol and drug use are factors in about 500 serious and fatal car accidents in Hillsborough County each year.
- In addition to collisions between motor vehicles, there are also close to 2,000 motorcycle, bicycle and pedestrian accidents in Tampa and the rest of Hillsborough County each year.
- Due to Tampa’s location at the intersection of I-4 and I-75 and its status as a port city, there are more than 3,000 accidents per year in Hillsborough County involving large trucks and other commercial vehicles.
- About a third of all vehicle collisions in Hillsborough County involve teen and young adult drivers (under the age of 24).
- More than 20 percent of car accidents in Tampa and Hillsborough County are hit-and-run accidents.
What Do You Need to Know if You’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident in Tampa?
If you have been injured in a car accident in Tampa, it will be important for you to understand the basics of Florida’s “no-fault” insurance law. Under this law, your first option for recovering compensation after suffering injuries in a car accident is to file a claim under your own personal injury protection (PIP) policy. This is mandatory coverage in Florida; so, if you have auto insurance, you should have PIP.
But, the compensation you can recover through a PIP claim is limited. Most people have $10,000 in coverage, which can go quickly when you suffer serious injuries in a collision. As a result, you may need to explore your other options as well.
A Tampa car accident lawyer at Searcy Denney can evaluate all of your options for securing coverage. For example, depending on the factors involved in your accident, our lawyers may be able to help you pursue one or more of the following types of claims:
- Personal injury protection (PIP) under your auto insurance policy
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) under your insurance policy
- Bodily injury liability (BIL) under the other driver’s insurance policy
- A claim for a vehicle defect or maintenance issue
- A claim for an issue with the road
- A claim against another “third party” (for example, if you were hit by a drunk driver who had been overserved)
To determine what claim(s) you can file and gather the evidence needed to prove your legal rights, it will be important to investigate your accident as soon as possible. Our attorneys are available 24/7, and we can get to work on your case immediately.
What Losses Can You Recover After a Car Accident in Tampa?
The losses you can recover after a car accident depend on several different factors. For example, if you are limited to seeking PIP coverage, you will only be able to recover your medical expenses and lost wages (in addition to getting your car repaired). However, if you have any other type of claim, an attorney can help you seek compensation for all of the losses you have sustained – and will sustain – as a result of the collision. This includes losses such as:
- Property damage (including the diminished value of your vehicle)
- Medical diagnosis and treatment costs
- Prescription and medical supply costs
- Loss of income and benefits
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Post-traumatic stress and emotional trauma
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of home services, loss of emotional support, and loss of enjoyment of life
To determine what losses you can recover, your attorney will need to analyze (i) who (or what company or government agency) is responsible for your accident, (ii) what insurance coverage is available, and (iii) how your injuries impact your life.
Why is it Important to Hire a Tampa Car Accident Lawyer?
When you get injured in a car accident, there is no substitute for experienced legal representation. An experienced Tampa car accident lawyer can help you avoid costly mistakes while fighting for just compensation on your behalf. If your accident costs are piling up, you need a strong advocate, and you need to know that you are not settling for less than you deserve.
Talk to a Tampa Car Accident Attorney for Free 24/7
Were you injured in a car accident in Tampa? If so, we strongly encourage you to contact us right away. To speak with one of our experienced Florida injury attorneys in confidence, call 813-491-8896 or tell us about your accident online now.