Legal Rights & Options for Damages
Learn About Your Legal Rights and Options if You Have Been Harmed By a Chemical Hair Straightener
Chemical hair straighteners sold by several major companies have been linked to ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and other serious health risks. As a result, many customers who purchased and used these products are now taking legal action. If you have been diagnosed with cancer or another medical condition that was potentially caused by a chemical hair relaxing product, you may have a claim, and you should consult with a lawyer promptly.
What You Should Know About Filing a Chemical Hair Straightener Lawsuit
With chemical hair straightener lawsuits garnering mainstream media attention, there is now a lot of information about these lawsuits online. Unfortunately, not all of this information is accurate. If you think you may have a claim, here is an overview of what you need to know:
1. What Are Your Legal Rights If You Used a Chemical Hair Straightener?
Companies that sell consumer products have a legal duty to ensure that their products are safe for their intended use. This is a fundamental consumer protection that applies to all consumer products sold in the United States.
When companies sell products that aren’t safe for their intended use, these companies can—and should—be held accountable. Dangerous products can cause substantial harm to consumers; and, in many cases, they can leave consumers facing a lifetime of consequences.
One of the most important aspects of companies’ liability for harm caused by dangerous products is that proof of negligence is not required. As a result, even if a chemical hair straightener company had no reason to suspect that its products were dangerous (although studies suggest that this isn’t the case), it can still be held liable for putting dangerous products on retailers’ shelves.
With this in mind, individuals across the country who have been diagnosed with cancers and other medical conditions after using hair relaxing products potentially have grounds to file a chemical hair relaxer lawsuit. If you are one of these individuals, we strongly encourage you to speak with one of our lawyers about your legal rights—which include:
- The Right to Find Out What Happened – If you have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, uterine cancer or any other medical condition after using a chemical hair straightener, you have the right to find out what happened. You have the right to find out if the product’s manufacturer is responsible for your diagnosis, and you have the right to find out if it knew (or should have known) that its products were dangerous.
- The Right to Go to Court – Victims of dangerous chemical hair straighteners have the right to take their claims to court. Many have gone to court already. When you file a lawsuit, the manufacturer is obligated to respond; and, if it doesn’t, you are entitled to a default judgment.
- The Right to Receive Just Compensation for Your Diagnosis – All victims of dangerous chemical hair straighteners have the right to receive just compensation for their diagnoses. As we discuss in greater detail below, this includes just compensation for their financial and non-financial losses.
- The Right to Hire a Lawyer at No Out-of-Pocket Cost – When filing a chemical hair straightener lawsuit, you have the right to hire a lawyer at no out-of-pocket cost. We represent all of our clients on a contingency-fee basis, which means our clients pay absolutely nothing unless they win.
- The Right to Make Smart Decisions that Protect You and Your Family – Finally, and most importantly, you have the right to make smart decisions that protect you and your family. You can (and should) rely on your lawyer’s advice as you move forward; and, if you receive a settlement offer after filing a lawsuit, you can rely on your lawyer to help you decide whether you should accept or keep fighting for more.
While these are some of your most important legal rights, these are by no means the only legal rights you have. Our lawyers can explain everything you need to know, and you can contact us 24/7 to arrange a free and confidential consultation.
2. What Are Your Options for Seeking Damages for Cancer or Other Harm?
If you have grounds to sue over your chemical hair straightener, our lawyers can help you seek just compensation for all of the financial and non-financial costs of your diagnosis. While individual circumstances vary, in most cases, plaintiffs who file chemical hair straightener lawsuits can seek damages for their:
- Medical costs
- Therapy costs
- Prescriptions and other out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of income due to being unable to work
- Pain, suffering and emotional trauma
- Loss of companionship, consortium and enjoyment of life
- Loss of the ability to bear children
Crucially, when filing a lawsuit against a chemical hair straightener company, you are entitled to seek just compensation for your current and future losses. A cancer diagnosis (or diagnosis with any other serious medical condition) can impact the rest of your life. Your long-term losses can be substantial; and, while there may be no way for you to avoid them, you can hire a lawyer to help you seek the financial compensation you need to live your life as comfortably as possible.
There are currently thousands of lawsuits pending in courts across the country. Many of these lawsuits are being consolidated into multi-district litigation (MDL), which can help to streamline the process. A class action lawsuit is a possibility as well. When you schedule a free consultation at Searcy Denney, an experienced lawyer will go over all of your options in detail, and your lawyer will help you decide on the best way to move forward.
Speak with a Lawyer About Filing a Chemical Hair Straightener Lawsuit for Free
If you need to know more about your legal rights and options after using a dangerous chemical hair straightener, we encourage you to contact us promptly. To speak with an experienced lawyer at Searcy Denney as soon as possible, call 800-780-8607 or submit your contact information online now.