- Do not post on social media that you will be away from home/on vacation.
- Make sure your mail and any newspaper deliveries are stopped until you return. Or, have a trusted friend or neighbor collect them daily.
- Have someone walk through your home periodically while you are away to make sure there are no leaks and everything is in good condition.
- Make sure your car has been properly serviced and the tires are in good shape — including the spare.
- Make sure you have an emergency kit in the car that includes: jumper cables; LED emergency lights; tools to change a tire; flashlight, first-aid kit; extra water; warm blankets; car window breaker; seat belt cutter and a fully charged cell phone.
- If carrying extra luggage on the top of the car, make sure everything is safely secured.
- If your car is pulling a boat, trailer, etc. make sure the chains are properly affixed.
- Make sure the driver is alert. If tired, pull into a safe area to rest.
- Do not text; check emails or search the internet while driving.