Florida Product Liability Lawyers Fight Unsafe Products
Every year, thousands of adults and children are killed or maimed by unsafe products marketed to unsuspecting consumers: cars, toys, cribs, sports equipment, medical devices, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and everyday household items. It’s only right that you can recover compensation when something goes wrong. Turn to our product liability attorneys if you suffered harm from an unsafe product.
Searcy Denney Attorneys Take on Makers of Unsafe Products with Success
Our product liability lawyers are proud of our 40 years of experience helping victims of all kinds of unsafe products.
- “Bad drug” lawsuits pursued by our mass torts unit have resulted in substantial recoveries for patients harmed by dangerous hormone replacement, osteoporosis and birth control drugs and medical devices that include pain pumps and Stryker Rejuvenate hip implants.
- Empowered by a Florida Supreme Court decision affirming that cigarettes cause cancer, our attorneys have recovered multi-million dollar verdicts against R.J. Reynolds Company and Philip Morris USA on behalf of smokers who died of lung cancer.
- We recovered $950,000 for a man who suffered a herniated disc, followed by a spinal fluid leak and two surgeries, because a defective Rubbermaid chair collapsed.
- We have successfully represented clients killed or injured by a number of unsafe automobiles and household and workplace products, including a defective camping heater that caused carbon monoxide poisoning, a garbage truck with defective brakes that injured two-year-old twins and their mother, a contaminated health food product that caused liver damage, and a defective “guillotine” paper roll chopper that crushed a worker’s leg and pelvis.
Government Agencies Protect Us from Unsafe Products, But Not Enough
Fortunately, federal and state legislation help protect us from defective and unsafe products and support our right to seek justice when we have been harmed. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), for example, monitors more than 15,000 types of consumer products in its mission to protect the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury. Within the agency’s jurisdiction are everyday products such as toys, cribs, sports equipment, power tools and household chemicals.
Over the last few years, the CPSC has recalled from 300 to 400 dangerous products annually, based on meticulous investigation that uncovered evidence of their danger to consumers. One of the highest recall years was 2012, when the agency issued 439 recalls and forced manufacturers to remove 91 million dangerous product units from the worldwide market.
About 25% of CPSC recalls are for children’s products, most of them toys. Child safety advocates remain concerned about the effectiveness of these recalls, however; a study of 2013 recalls indicates that nearly 80% of recalled children’s products were not acted upon, leaving millions of children at risk of injury or death.
Another government agency, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), responds to crashes and consumer complaints about automobile defects. Between 2014 and 2015, about one in five car and truck models was recalled for safety violations. Here are some recent examples of recalls that involve millions of vehicle:
- General Motors was forced to recall 2.6 million cars because of an ignition defect that has prompted some models to shut off, causing crashes in which airbags fail to deploy.
- In March 2014, Toyota recalled 2.3 million of its automobiles in North America alone, part of a 6.39 million car recall across the globe. The previous year, Toyota was fined $1.2 billion for hiding car defects that caused serious crashes.
- Nearly 8 million Toyotas, Hondas, BMWs and other vehicles have been recalled because of defective Takata airbags, which have killed and injured people when metal shards exploded out as bags were deployed.
- All totaled, more than 60 million vehicles from most of the major manufacturers have been recalled in recent years for issues such as defective ignition switches, electrical problems that cause fires, steering and brake problems, and other safety defects.
If You Are Injured by an Unsafe Product, You Need a Product Liability Lawyer
Our product liability law firm has the courage to stand up to even the most powerful corporations and their highly-paid attorneys, the resources to wage a lengthy battle if necessary, and the persistence to pursue every remedy available to you. If you would like to discuss your potential unsafe products case, please fill out our Contact Form or call us at 1-800-780-8607 to arrange for a free confidential consultation.