If you or someone you care about has been involved in a serious accident with a large commercial vehicle, you already know how destructive big rigs can be. When a car, motorcycle, or other personal vehicle is in a collision with a 40-ton piece of rolling heavy machinery, the fight is anything but fair. And the consequences — injuries that are so catastrophic that the victim will never fully recover or even dies — are all too real. While the last thing that will be on your mind is hiring a West Palm Beach truck accident lawyer, the unfortunate truth is that you are going to need legal counsel right away.
What Can I Do to Avoid an Accident with a Truck or Tractor Trailer?
- Remember that trucks are not the same as cars – they’re bigger and heavier and take much longer to stop.
- Trucks have dangerous blind spots on both sides – so stay out of them. If you can’t see a truck’s side mirrors, the truck driver can’t see you either.
- Don’t cut in front of a truck in order to make your turn or exit. Forcing the driver to slam on the brakes can spin the truck out of control or cause it to hit you, neither of which is a good choice.
- Don’t pass a truck while it is turning right, because a turning truck takes a wide swing.
- When passing a truck on the highway, accelerate slightly and maintain a constant speed. When you see the entire cab in your rear-view mirror, it is safe to signal and begin pulling back in front of it.
- Be especially wary of trucks in bad weather, when it may take them several seconds more to stop than in dry conditions.
- If you see a truck driver driving erratically or unsafely, call the authorities. And keep your distance so there is no chance of endangering you or your passengers.
If a Truck Driver Caused the Accident, Who Will my West Palm Beach Truck Accident Lawyer Sue?
If the driver who caused your accident was employed by a trucking company, the company may be liable for your injuries under the theory of “vicarious liability.” Vicarious liability makes employers liable for their employees’ mistakes made within the scope of employment – even if the employer was not actively responsible.
When a Florida truck accident lawyer investigates your case, we will assess not only whether a trucking company is vicariously liable for your injuries, but whether the company may be directly liable as well. From hiring inexperienced semi-truck drivers to forcing drivers to log too many hours, trucking companies routinely make mistakes that entitle accident victims to significant compensation.
Fatal Truck Collisions
If you have lost a loved one in a truck accident, we offer our deepest condolences. We are here to assist you in any way we can, and we are happy to meet with you to help you understand your situation. Under Florida law, the deceased’s personal representative must file a wrongful death claim on behalf of the eligible beneficiaries. Our truck accident lawyers have worked with personal representatives and surviving family members on numerous auto accident claims, and we can hold the responsible parties accountable for your loved one’s untimely death.
Contact a West Palm Beach Truck Accident Attorney Today
Trucking companies have attorneys working to protect their funds, so why shouldn’t you? If you’ve been injured in a crash with a tractor trailer, contact a West Palm Beach truck accident lawyer today. Searcy Denney has decades of experience helping clients with personal injury cases, and we’re here to help you.