Where’s the beef?
A huge recall is underway of beef distributed by Wolverine Packing Company of Detroit Michigan.
Eleven cases of E. coli infection have been reported in four states; none so far in Florida. The FDA reports that known distribution locations in Florida include:
- Gordon Food Service Marketplace
- Surf N Turf Market Sebring
- Giorgio’s Italian Deli Stuart
The infection in the meat is E. coli 0157 and can be deadly. It is a bacterium that can cause diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, dehydration, kidney failure and other potentially life threatening illnesses.
How can you be sure you have not already purchased the beef? The records are pretty completely and can be found here.
Call you retailer if you have any doubts.
Use safe handling procedures for all raw meat:
- Only thaw meat on a plate on the lowest shelf in your refrigerator.
- Never thaw meat by allowing it to sit out on the counter.
- Keep raw meat separate from ready to eat meat.
- Use different or cleaned plates to transfer raw and cooked meat.
- Wash hands often and thoroughly when cooking with raw meat.
- Clean counters with a solution of one teaspoon unscented chlorine bleach in a quart of water to sanitize.
- Cook ground meat to an internal temperature of 160ᵅ by thermometer; which probably does away with rare burgers.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day. Cook safely. Have fun.
Please take time to remember those who have been of service to our country and died in active military service to our country. If you see a soldier this weekend especially, ask to shake their hand and say thank you for serving.