If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you are likely experiencing a wide variety of emotions, depending on how recently the accident happened, how badly anyone was injured, and whose fault the accident was.
In the immediate aftermath, you probably felt varying degrees of fear, anger, and relief. If you or a loved one were injured, your concern will likely overwhelm all of your other emotions in the immediate aftermath. If the accident was clearly your fault, your following emotions will likely be fear and concern regarding the consequences. If the accident was clearly not your fault, you may feel angry and concerned about getting the compensation sufficient to make you whole.
If you have been involved in a car accident, your first step should be to contact a Florida auto accident attorney at Searcy Denney, even before you speak with your insurance agent, no matter what else you are feeling.
Tips for Maximizing Your Damage Award
When you are involved in a car accident, it’s important to set aside your emotions and think clearly, because there are potentially thousands of dollars at stake, and as a victim, you are entitled to every penny. Here’s what you should keep in mind:
- Remain at the Scene and Gather Information. Drivers are generally required to stop and remain at the scene of an accident in which they are involved. If no one else has done so, call 911 and wait for the police to arrive. In the meantime, you should be gathering information about the other drivers involved, such as drivers’ license numbers, license plate numbers, insurance information, and damages to the vehicles involved. Use your phone to take a video of this information for the best results. Lastly, obtain witness information if possible.
- Don’t Discuss the Accident. Even innocent or off-hand statements could be used to reduce the value of a legal claim.
- Call a Florida Auto Accident Attorney at Searcy Denney. After 911, this should be your first call, even before calling your insurance agent. An experienced attorney will guide you through the entire claims process.
- Contact a Doctor. Tell the doctor about every single pain and symptom, even if they seem inconsequential. You need to continuously update your doctor regarding everything pertaining to your condition.
- Keep All Your Appointments With Your Doctor and Physical Therapist. If your doctor or therapist recommends more office visits, set up the appointments before you leave the building.
- Keep Going to Doctor Appointments and Therapy Sessions Until You Reach Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI). Your doctor will decide whether you need to have any more treatments.
- Permit All Recommended Surgeries. If you need surgery, your case is automatically more valuable; nonetheless, do not have surgery merely for the sake of your settlement amount.
- Take Your Medication. If your doctor prescribes pain pills or other medications, make sure you follow the prescription to the letter.
- Work to the Extent Possible. If you are medically and able to work, work as much as you can. Jurors typically approve of independent, courageous people.
Searcy Denney Can Help You With If You’ve Been Injured By a Defective Product
If you have been personally injured in an accident that is not your fault, a Florida auto accident attorney at Searcy Denney will help you recover your maximum monetary compensation. Contact us online today.