Skip to Content
Contact Form Map & Directions Videos

Apartment Buildings: Who is Liable For Your Personal Injuries?

Personal Injury

If you were injured at an apartment building complex because of the negligence of the landlord or property owner, you may have a personal injury claim against the apartment building or complex to obtain compensation for damages you sustained from the accident such as medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.

If you have questions about your personal injury accident contact the Florida injury lawyers at Searcy Denney today.  Our attorneys have extensive experience working with clients on apartment complex accident cases.  Our attorneys can help explain the legal remedies available to you for the injuries you sustained from your accident. Call us today for a free case evaluation with our Florida injury lawyers.

What Types of Accidents Commonly Occur at Apartment Buildings?

Property owners have a duty of care to maintain their property in a safe manner for those who come onto the owner’s property.  As with personal injury accidents that occur on other types of properties, there are a variety of different accidents that occur at apartment complexes.  Some common examples include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Building Security Issues:  Apartment building owners have a duty to keep their property safe.  Sometimes when owners do not adequately secure their apartment buildings, crimes occur against tenants such as a theft or a violent attack.  In these situations, an injured party may have a premises liability claim against the property owner if the owner was negligent in securing the property.
  • Drowning Accidents:  These types of accidents occur when the apartment complex has a swimming pool. Apartment buildings with swimming pools must exercise extreme care and caution to maintain the swimming pool and keep it safe.  Both apartment tenants and neighbors can experience accidents from a swimming pool, such as a nearby child wandering onto the property and drowning in the pool.   In some states, landowners have an obligation to install a fence around a swimming pool and are required to have warning signs near the pool to warn of dangers (such as wet surfaces). Unfortunately, sometimes apartment building owners with swimming pools do not properly maintain their pools and do not adhere to safety standards.  As a result, injuries are sustained.  
  • Slip and Fall Accidents:  These types of accidents occur for a variety of different reasons – often because of the negligence of the landlord or property owner.  Some examples of why slip and fall accidents occur include: slippery surfaces such as icy sidewalks or wet floors; objects or other hazards in stairways; and poor lighting or maintenance which create hazards and an increased chance for falls. 

If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries from an accident that occurred at an apartment building, the Florida injury lawyers at Searcy Denney can help explain your rights and remedies to you.

What Compensation Is Available for Apartment Building Personal Injury Accidents?

There are a variety of different types of damages that an injured party may pursue in an apartment building accident case including both economic and non-economic damages such as:

  • Medical expenses related to injuries sustained;
  • Lost income;
  • Pain and suffering; and 
  • More. 

If you are unsure about the damages you may be able to pursue for the injuries you suffered from an accident that occurred at an apartment complex, speak with an experienced Florida injury lawyer.  The Florida injury lawyers at Searcy Denney can help explain the process for filing a personal injury claim and can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure you obtain fair compensation for the injuries you sustained. 

What is the Difference Between an Apartment Building’s Medical  Payment Coverage vs. Liability Coverage? 

An apartment building owner typically has insurance coverage on the property which usually has two types of coverages that may be available to cover the damages of an injured party – medical payment coverage (“Med Pay”) and the other is liability coverage.  Med Pay coverage on the apartment building owner’s policy typically will pay out for an injured person’s medical bills, regardless of which party was at fault.  In contrast, liability coverage may cover damages above the limited Med Pay coverage where the apartment building owner was negligent and the negligence caused the accident in question.  

What is the Process for Filing an Insurance Claim Against an Apartment Building Owner?

When you or a loved one is injured at an apartment building, you want to notify the landlord or property owner immediately.  Some owners may file a claim with their insurance company immediately whereas in other situations the injured party or their attorney may need to initiate the claim with the insurance company.  If you have questions about the process for initiating a claim, an experienced Florida injury lawyer at Searcy Denney can advise you as to the steps you should take following the accident.  

Once a claim is reported to the insurance carrier, the carrier will assign a representative, often known as an insurance adjuster, to the case.  The adjuster will usually contact the property owner or landlord and the injured party to learn about the accident and to collect documentation such as medical records.  It is important to keep your Florida injury lawyer involved in the process to make sure your rights are protected.  Eventually, the adjuster may offer to settle the claim.  Your attorney can review the offer to determine if it is fair and negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company to help you obtain compensation that is fair for the injuries you sustained.  In the event the insurance company will not offer a reasonable settlement, you want to work with an experienced Florida injury attorney who can file a lawsuit on your behalf if necessary, like the experienced attorneys at Searcy Denney.

Have Questions About Your Apartment Building Accident Claim? Call the Florida Injury Lawyers at Searcy Denney Today

Were you injured in an accident that occurred at an apartment complex? If so and you have questions about your case, contact Searcy Denney today. The Florida injury lawyers at Searcy Denney are experienced with apartment building accident cases and can help you determine whether you are entitled to damages.  Call us toll-free at 800-780-8607 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our Florida injury lawyers. We have offices conveniently located in Tampa,  West Palm Beach and Tallahassee.

Share This

Hear What Our Clients Have To Say

"Amazing law firm! As an attorney myself I can say that they truly care about their clients and it shows!"
Posted By: Clinton Cimring