Skip to Content
Contact Form Live Chat Review Us Map & Directions Videos

Q&A With the Florida Personal Injury Lawyers at Searcy Denney

If you have been injured in an accident, understanding your legal rights – and how to protect them – is critical to making informed decisions about your financial recovery. Here are answers to some frequently-asked questions (FAQs) from the Florida personal injury lawyers at Searcy Denney:

Car Accidents

Q: What should I do if I have been injured in a car accident in Florida?

The answer to this question depends on whether you are still at the scene of the accident or you are at home. If you are at the scene of the car accident, you should:

  • Call 911
  • Take lots of photos
  • Collect the other driver’s vehicle and insurance information
  • Collect contact information from any witnesses

If you are already at home, if you have not already seen a doctor, you need to see one right away. Write down everything you remember, and then call to speak with an experienced auto accident attorney. Our vehicle accident checklist provides an important resource for handling car accidents – keep it in your glove compartment.

Q: Is it true that my financial recovery is limited by Personal Injury Protection (PIP) in Florida?

Not necessarily. While individuals who suffer only minor injuries may be limited to filing for PIP coverage, if you have been seriously injured you can seek full compensation for your injury-related losses.

Q: Why should I hire a lawyer to deal with the insurance companies for me?

Dealing with the insurance companies can be challenging, and they are not on your side. From calculating your losses to negotiating a fair settlement, there are numerous ways that an experienced attorney will be able to help you.

Q: What are my options if the driver who hit me is uninsured?

If the driver who hit you was uninsured, one option is to file a claim under your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) policy (if you have one). It may also be possible to file a claim against a third-party (such as a vehicle manufacturer) that is fully or partially to blame for the accident.

Q: What are my options if I was injured in a hit-and-run accident?

If you were injured in a hit-and-run accident, our attorneys and investigators can attempt to identify the driver who hit you. If the driver cannot be identified, then we will handle your case similar to one involving an uninsured driver.

Truck Accidents

Q: Who is liable for accident victims’ injuries after a collision involving a commercial truck?

Truck accident cases can be extremely complex, and conducting a thorough investigation is critical to establishing liability. Depending on the facts involved, the truck driver, the trucking company, a shipping company, the truck’s manufacturer, the trailer owner and various other parties could all be to blame.

Q: Do truck accident cases settle, similar to car accident cases?

Yes, while settlement is never guaranteed, most truck accident cases settle. At Searcy Denney, our attorneys will use their experience to attempt to settle your case for maximum value as quickly as possible.

Q: How do I file a truck accident claim?

The answer to this question depends on who (or what company) is liable for your injuries. In order to file a truck accident claim, you will need to work with an experienced attorney.

Q: Does PIP apply in truck accident cases?

Filing for PIP is always an option, and securing PIP coverage should not prevent you from seeking additional compensation. That said, before you accept any payment from any insurance company, you should discuss your case with an attorney.  

Q: What are my rights if I have suffered lifechanging injuries in a truck accident?

Truck accidents often result in severe, and in many cases life-changing, injuries. If your life will never be the same after a commercial truck accident in Florida, our attorneys can help you seek just compensation for all of your financial and non-financial losses.

Medical Malpractice and Dangerous Drugs

Q: When does a medical mistake constitute medical malpractice in Florida?

A medical mistake constitutes medical malpractice when the doctor or other healthcare provider fails to adhere to the applicable standard of care. Unfortunately, medical malpractice is alarmingly common, and many medical mistakes constitute medical malpractice.

Q: What are the most-common forms of medical malpractice?

Failure to diagnose and misdiagnosis are by far the most-common forms of medical malpractice. From drug administration errors to wrong-site surgeries, various other forms of medical malpractice are common as well.

Q: What should I do if I suspect medical malpractice?

If you suspect medical malpractice, it is important that you seek legal and medical help right away.

Q: What are my legal rights if I have experienced an adverse drug reaction?

Adverse drug reactions are common as well, and if you are suffering as a result of taking a drug that you were prescribed, you could potentially have a claim against your doctor, the drug manufacturer, or both. Other companies may be liable for your injuries as well.

Q: When should I contact an attorney about medical malpractice or an adverse drug reaction?

The sooner you take action, the better. Our attorneys can quickly assess your case, help you seek competent medical treatment and begin working immediately to help you recover just compensation.

Other Types of Accidents and Personal Injury Claims

Q: What are my rights if I was injured on someone else’s property in Florida?

If you were injured on someone else’s property, the property owner or tenant (or, more likely, the owner’s or tenant’s insurance company) may be fully-liable for your injuries. Learn more.

Q: What are my rights if I was injured by a defective product?

Defective products can cause life-changing injuries. If you, your child or another member of your family was injured, each company in the “chain of distribution” might be held liable for your losses. Learn more.

Q: Are bicycle and pedestrian accidents covered by insurance?

Typically, yes. After a bicycle and pedestrian accident, both your auto insurance and the at-fault driver’s insurance can be sources of financial recovery. Learn more.

Q: What should I do after a boating or watercraft accident?

After a boating or watercraft accident, you should call the Coast Guard and seek medical attention right away. You should also speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Learn more.

Q: What should I do if I have lost a loved one in an accident in Florida?

If you have lost a loved one in an accident, we offer our deepest condolences. Our attorneys can help you through the process and pursue a claim for wrongful death on your behalf. Learn more.

Schedule a Free Initial Consultation with a Florida Injury Lawyer at Searcy Denney

For more information and free legal advice tailored to your individual circumstances, please contact us to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced Florida personal injury attorneys. Chat with us live, call 1-888-549-7011 or send us a message online to get started today.

What Our Clients Have To Say

" Every question that I had was answered in mere minutes and the follow through that the staff, secretaries and attorneys had was superior. I have dealt with many, many firms that have all disappointed me and Searcy Denney was by far the most thorough - I highly recommend them! "