Helping Families Recover for Your Baby’s Injuries
The excitement of having a baby can quickly turn to sorrow and anger when you learn your child has suffered a serious injury due to negligence. You deserve answers during this challenging time. Searcy Denney conducts a full investigation to get you those answers. We then pursue the medical professionals and entities responsible for making such a costly mistake.
Extensive painful surgeries and treatments may be necessary to correct the birth injury. Even after considerable medical care, a birth injury may result in life-long complications and disabilities. Florida medical negligence lawyers want to give your child every chance for qualified medical care and the best quality of life possible. Our goal in bringing a medical malpractice lawsuit is to ensure your child is able to obtain what he or she needs now and in the future.
Types of Birth Injuries
Birth injuries are different from genetic birth defects in that they are not inevitable. If your otherwise healthy baby has suffered an injury, somebody may have made a mistake during your pregnancy or delivery.
Common birth injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy resulting from injury to the brachial plexus
- Intracranial hemorrhage, or bleeding in the brain
- Nerve injuries that can cause paralysis
- Perinatal asphyxia caused by too little blood flow to the fetus
- Brain damage caused by lack of oxygen
- Infection to the fetus that remain undetected
High Risk Pregnancies and In-Vitro Complications
Good prenatal care can drastically change the outcome of childbirth for both the mother and the child. Your obstetrician is supposed to monitor your health and the health of your baby throughout your pregnancy and take appropriate action in response to risks.
Obstetricians can often significantly reduce the chances of injury by delivering by caesarean section or taking other important precautions in these high-risk situations:
- The baby is larger than normal
- The baby’s head is not pointing toward the birth canal
- The shape or size of the mother’s pelvis makes vaginal delivery difficult
- The mother is overweight
- The mother has gestational diabetes
- The baby is premature
- The fetus has a treatable infection
Mistakes Made During Delivery
Despite a healthy pregnancy, your obstetric team can cause severe injuries to your baby during his or her birth, including:
- Tugging on the baby’s shoulder or head or causing the arm to become entrapped in the birth canal, and thus injuring the brachial plexus
- Not taking emergency steps during a dangerously prolonged labor, which can lead to oxygen deprivation and other complications
- Using forceps, vacuum extractor or other inappropriate tools that can cause brain, nerve and soft tissue damage
- Not responding appropriately to signs of fetal distress
Recover Damages if Your Baby was Injured During Birth
Searcy Denney holds your obstetrical team and hospital accountable for your baby’s birth injuries. For a free claims evaluation, call our experienced medical malpractice attorneys at (800) 780-8607. Our firm handles your claim on contingency, meaning you owe us nothing if we do not recover compensation for you.